Friday, September 10, 2010

Forgive Me, Mr. Rodgers!

I’m more excited than usual for the start of the NFL season, not just because the Cowboys’ prospects are good, I’m also defending my fantasy football title.  This year I targeted and selected Aaron Rodgers with my first pick across my fantasy teams.  Why wouldn’t I, right?  Well it was pretty unimaginable back in 2004 when I deemed him a crybaby over his incessant whining about Mack Brown lobbying for Texas to play in the Rose Bowl over Cal.   Please accept my apologies Mr. Rodgers.

A thing about Fantasy Football is that it has all but eliminated the hardcore NFL team fan.  Sure we all have favorite teams, but as good fantasy owners we follow and root for our players regardless of team.  My favorite NFL team is the Dallas Cowboys… and Aaron Rodgers, Michael Turner, Hakeem Nicks, Jermichael Finley, and all my other fantasy players!  If the Cowboys don’t win, and they often don’t, I’m still happy my fantasy team won.  I couldn't fathom the idea of wanting a Giants' receiver to do well when I was growing up!  This is why I think College Football is more exciting than the NFL.  The level of intensity of College Football fandom is greater than the pros, even as the NFL enjoys a far wider audience.  

It was a rough opening week for my College Football predictions, I went 3 for 11 with 1 push for a 30% average, but please keep in mind I was picking AGAINST the spread, I correctly predicted 9 of my eleven predictions.  I was very bullish on USC being able to easily defeat Hawaii, unfortunately their defense had more holes than, well than something that has a lot of holes on it!  

I was also very certain that Virginia Tech would be able to defeat Boise State.  That was a hell of a game, Boise played very well, but is Virginia Tech really representative of the ‘established’ football programs?  I’ll be blunt, Virginia Tech is chronically overrated, they’re a name that sounds very big, but this is the team that managed to lose a BCS game to Kansas.   

David didn’t beat Goliath, David beat his slightly larger cousin Dave.  Luckily, while the AP likes to throw sympathy first place votes around, the BCS computers do factor in how VT performs throughout the season, and they do not look like a team that can win the ACC.  I predict the AP will rank Oregon State again before they play Boise to inflate the value of that win, watch.

College Football Predictions – Week 2

  • Michigan +4 at Notre Dame – Michigan looked great last week, enough to overcome playing on the road, like I said last week: Rich Rod is back!
  • #25 South Carolina -3 over Georgia – Georgia played well without AJ Green, who won’t play this week, and both teams blew up their opponents at home last week, South Carolina just beat a better team.  It’s a close one, but I give Carolina the edge at home.
  • #6 Florida -16.5 over South Florida – Florida didn’t look very good on offense last week, but I expect them to have addressed their ball-snapping woes.  Their defense is still top notch, and their egos were a little bruised by being jumped by TCU in the polls, so I expect the Gators to make a statement.
  • Colorado +10 at Cal – This is a gut pick, there’s a lot that says Cal should win this one, but I think Colorado is looking to make a statement to their new conference.
  • #18 Florida State +7 at #10 oklahoma – This game is really a toss-up, oklahoma’s defense looked weak against the pass in their first game, which happens to be FSU’s strength.
  • #2 Ohio State -8.5 over #12 Miami – Both offenses looked great in their first game, but OSU’s defense is far stronger and plus home field will be key.
  • #4 Texas -29 over Wyoming – Homer pick.
  • #8 Oregon -12 at Tennessee – Oregon looked great last week albeit against a helpless New Mexico team at home, but I still expect them to score tons of points and cover the spread.
  • Texas a&m -20 over Louisiana Tech – The aggies have a good enough offense, they shouldn’t have trouble covering at home.
  • #1 Alabama -12.5 over #19 Penn State – Much attention has been paid to Ingram not being able to play, but Alabama still has better players and is playing at home.
  • #16 USC -20 over Virginia – USC’s offense can definitely put up points; I’m hoping they’re doing something about their defense, especially at home.

Pro Football Predictions – Week 1

  • Dolphins -3 at Bills – Miami is a much better team than Buffalo, at least on paper.  I’m eager to see how the passing game has developed with Brandon Marshall.
  • Falcons -2.5 at Steelers – Atlanta should be very good on offense and Pittsburgh should be very good on defense, Roethlisberger’s absence will be the difference.
  • Lions +6.5 at Bears – Detroit is a vastly improved team on both sides of the ball, I expect them to keep the game close if not win it outright.
  • Texans +2.5 over Colts – I expect to see another shootout between these two teams with Houston coming out on top this time around.
  • Packers -3 at Eagles – Philly’s defense won’t be able to contain Green Bay and I doubt their offense will be able to keep up on the scoreboard.  Plus Rodgers is my fantasy QB.
  • Rams +4 over Cardinals – The preseason may not usually mean much, but the Rams built momentum and Arizona fell apart.  QBs aren’t a strength for either team so this game will come down to the running game, where the Rams are better.
  • Cowboys -3.5 at Redskins – Homer pick
  • Ravens +2.5 at Jets – I think Revis’s holdout will make a difference and Baltimore will take advantage of their superior passing game to win this very evenly matched game.
  • Chiefs +5 over Chargers – The Chargers usually start the season a little slow, I smell an upset!

-Kanan

No comments:

Post a Comment